Every year many incidents occur during transportation of gas cylinders or cryogenic receptacles in inappropriate vehicles. Unfortunately, this frequently results in severe incidents.
Typical causes include:
- Insufficient ventilation during transit
- Cylinders not secured correctly
- Valve protection (if applicable) not in place
- Valves not closed properly before departure
- Regulator or other equipment remaining connected during transport
- Cylinders left in the vehicle for an extended period after arrival.
Many of these could have been avoided if basic safety rules had been followed.
EIGA has developed a serious of publications aimed at helping customers to transport gases and dry ice more safely in "non dedicated" vehicles.
This Safety Leaflet is intended to be shared with customers collecting cylinders or cryogenic receptacles from sites or retail centres. In a clear and simple format, the leaflets explain the safety hazards and then describe the basic precautions to be taken to stay safe.
This publication is part of the EIGA Campaign: Safe Transport of Gases or Dry Ice in "Non Dedicated" Vehicles